Sunday, March 4, 2012

Greening Our Space

We're beginning to plan our garden, and it's pretty exciting.  We had to stop composting for a bit,  which I  haven't been too happy with, even having a garbage disposal...  we have no wooded area to just freely work with, and have to build an enclosure here.  It's not difficult; just waiting for warmer days more consistently.  We also plan to put at least two rain barrels at the foot of gutters to use for watering the veggies.   A cherry tree is in the plans too-- and we'll finally plant the placenta (sorry if that detail freaks anyone out.  I get that it was an act most don't make, saving it... but it honestly seemed weird to me to dispose of it, and unlike what others have said about it, I don't find the thing gross.  It just is-- and honestly, given what it did, it's kind of fascinating.  We both felt that way about it.).  A cherry tree will be both a pretty and useful investment-- a nice tree for the kiddo to claim as her own.  I look forward to putting in some berry bushes at some point too-- although maybe not this year: a bit at a time.  I definitely will expand the strawberry planting too: we have only a very few plants, and have almost never gotten any fruit worth mentioning.  We need to get the first few raised beds in quite soon, so I can plant the early crops--peas, cabbage, kale, lettuce.  This is going to be so fun: finally having some earth to work for real.

Basically, spring is all I think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment