Thursday, September 29, 2011

Being Green... At Things

I just realized why my entries about marriage, parenting, and even teaching fit.  One can be "green" at things one cannot do well, but at which will one eventually get to a place of maturity.... like green, punky wood that you do not want for your woodstove, but which can be stacked and set aside for a winter in future.

The house we're looking at first has a woodstove, which is a cool feature.  It also is old--built in 1870, so probably build with old growth wood, and there's no negative eco karma attached: by now, its surely neurtralized, at least, and old houses are much like vintage clothing.   A thing which lets you have a thing that's decadent and beautiful without feeling guilty because it isn't using any new resources. That's a thing that makes me keep looking at 1850-1900 or max 1915 or so Colonial houses.  Crazy-beautiful wood paneled walls, and in-built detailing.  Always more risk of structural problems from hell with houses like that. And I may look at tons more than the one we see tomorrow. 

I keep avoiding pools.  Why the hell anyone looks at a yard that could take a least four ginormous raised beds with which they could feed their family and decides to put in a chemical money pit on their property is beyond me.   The place we're looking at has a ton of mulch instead of lawn, something we are actually pleased by.  Lawn chemicals are not the best thing to try to have to suck up in your organic garden anyway.  See?  I'm still starry-eyed and green at this house hunting thing too, and it's pretty sweet that I  can still go to that high and hopeful place over something.   I do know how long this may take, but so many things feel promising about this.  And, in the end, it's going to be something I take for an adventure.

National Board candidacy feels similar: daunting, but do-able, if I make myself take it in steps.  We'll see.

And I interview for Green Team advisory on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment