Saturday, October 1, 2011

House Hunting Really is the Most Fun and the Most Miserable at the Same Time

First house was, in my opinion, about a 60% match.  I loved its woodwork, and its kitchen... hated how close everything felt, and how there was no master bedroom door (the arch way was pretty and all, but holy no privacy, Batman!).  Loved the attic bedroom, and the way they'd made one of the second floor bedrooms into a dressing room/walk-in suite.... hated the fact that there was one bath, and no way to cram in a 1/2 later.  Hated, and this killed it, the almost complete lack of any land upon which to garden.  Barely even enough room to store a bicycle and a grill in the super shady back yard, and less than ten feet between the house and the sidewalk in front.  And, much of what I liked about the house, D. didn't even care about, so I'm seeing that we're on two totally different pages in terms of what we want, and while that should come as no surprise, it's just another obstacle that may make the whole thing more complicated than I want to allow myself to think about. 

I prefer to remain hopeful.  And, we already have a second house in mind, one which will need a ton of work but which could allow us a whole lot more house--and land--for a similar budget.  A different town, with slightly less reputable schools, but I know that other town too well anyway to judge fairly, given that it was the town I was schooled in.  A fresh start town might be best anyway. 

We learned a bit about realtors from that first experience, and have made some phone calls in the direction of finding an agent to work with.... and I think I should inquire about this new house by Tuesday if I haven't heard directly from one of our leads yet.  We may not yet have an agent, but that shouldn't stop us from looking, and seeing what connects, or doesn't, with this set of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment